October 14, 2008

Goodbye, Hello

October 08 Newsletter

“The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.”

This particular passage has been on my heart more and more over the past couple of years. I feel it is incredibly relevant because I have seen a glimpse of this treasure recently.

As you know I’ve been globetrotting for the past couple of years. Trips to India, Israel, Amsterdam and Mexico have peppered my usual routine and these experiences have started something new within me. After these experiences, I found myself becoming more and more dissatisfied with pursuing the “American Dream.” However, I caught a glimpse of another way to do life—a life devoted to helping bring about God’s Kingdom. This includes things like radical generosity, peacemaking, reconciliation, and works of mercy for the poor. This radical shift in my thinking is the result of much time spent in prayer and dialogue with my fellow brothers and sisters. I’m excited to announce my future plans to you.

As of the end of October, I will be saying goodbye to my Youthfront family. This has been the toughest decision I’ve ever had to make, but I know that God is calling me elsewhere. To be honest, this decision really freaks me out. I’ve never made such a seemingly reckless step in my life. However, the place I now find myself is where God speaks the loudest. I am really having to trust in him for my provisions as I move onto something new and uncharted.

As soon as I leave Youthfront, I will be entering into an internship with a Catholic Worker house called “Cherith Brook.” This is a community devoted to living out Matthew 25:35-40 in the most literal sense. They are devoted to serving the poor, the naked, the stranger, and the prisoner. I am really excited about this opportunity to see what a community wholly devoted to Jesus looks like.


Some Cherith Brook community members.

After my three month internship is done, my friend and I will be going to observe/participate in the life of another community in either Atlanta or New York. When we return we will then be starting our own house devoted to doing works of mercy, peacemaking, and reconciliation.

As I said before, I am really excited about this new chapter in my life and will be contacting you in the very near future to answer any questions you may have regarding the adventure I am about to begin. Attached to this newsletter I have included a document my friend and I dreamed up which lays out what we are committing ourselves to once we begin our ministry this next Spring.

While I am in the middle of this transition I know that I will need much support from family and friends as this path really is uncharted. Below is a basic timeline including a few things for which I could use prayer. If you read over any of these and decide you would like to help out just let me know. You can contact me at:

nickpick00@gmail.com

* * *
TIMELINE
Oct. 31. Leave Youthfront
Nov. 1. Start internship at Cherith Brook
Jan. 1. Begin preparation for leaving to Atlanta or New York to intern at the communities there
March 1. Come home, purchase house, get a job and begin doing works of mercy in the neighborhood

* * *
NEEDS
Looking for continued financial support through this transition period
Looking for part-time work while at Cherith Brook
Looking for volunteers who would like to experience the ministry where I will be serving for three months (Volunteers can help by offering the homeless in the neighborhood breakfast, clothes, a shower, a haircut, and someone to talk to. This happens during the morning hours of Mon.— Tue. And Thu.— Fri.)

* * *

This is a very rough outline and may vary on exact dates a little. Hopefully this gives you a better idea of how I will be moving gradually into this new way of life.

I’ve never felt more alive than I do right now and it is all because of the things God has stirred up in my heart. I look forward to sharing stories and struggles with you as I move forward with this. May God also stir up your hearts to continue to love his creation right into Jesus’ arms.


The Cherith Brook house on 12th & Benton

For more info on Cherith Brook, visit:
http://cherithbrookkc.blogspot.com




PS. For your viewing pleasure, the funniest SNL sketch I have seen in quite some time. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Nick! I'm really sad that you'll be leaving, but I can't wait to hear about the sweet stuff that you're getting yourself into.

    I'll be praying for you. When you get your community started up here in KC, I'm coming to visit. Okay? :-)(We should have a TS field trip to your community!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Nick! That's awesome!

    I remember that you were thinking about this when I saw you at the Alter. God bless you during this time of transition.

    ReplyDelete