September 08, 2008

September 08 Newsletter

SOME THOUGHTS

My trip to Amsterdam over the summer turned out to be both rewarding and exhausting; both inspiring and difficult.  I was forced to deal with fears I never knew I had and came home more certain than before that God is calling me to a different way of living.

This new path won’t be easy but life isn’t supposed to be that way.  God always calls his people out of their comfort zones and into situations where they have to rely heavily on him for daily strength.  When we obey God and take that step into the unknown, that’s where we experience all the beauty of the highs and lows of life.  Deciding to step into this call has been difficult.  But I have seen the byproducts of a life lived pursuing comfort and safety and I realize that I don’t want to live that way.  I would rather live in a way that is challenging and full of opportunities to experience life in all its mystery.

If you have been keeping up with my newsletters you will recall one from earlier this year in which I laid out what I felt God was calling me to do.  The time is quickly approaching when a couple of my close friends and I will venture into the heart of Kansas City to begin living lives of radical love, generosity and simplicity.  I simply ask that you pray—and pray often—that we will be overwhelmingly drawn to where God may want us, and that God will bring those people forward with whom we are supposed to enter into this new way of life.

Next month I will lay out the plans for the new venture in life on which my friends and I will be embarking.  I am very excited to show these plans to you but I also realize that I just got back from a two month trip to Amsterdam.  I figured it would probably be a good idea to show you some pictures taken during my time there so enjoy!  Thanks for being so good to me and helping me realize that I am never alone in the work God is doing in Kansas City and the world.



A birthday party my friends threw for me in Amsterdam

This is a piece of art we hung up in the Red Light District

In a very traditional Dutch town.


At Corrie Ten Boom's house.  It was an incredibly sobering and inspiring place.

No comments:

Post a Comment